Fix Low audio on Plex's app for Roku
Recreating a page deleted in a restoral process, so bear with the lack of details.
- You must be using a Roku device. Check the version number under "status" and look for 12 or 9.
- You must be using the Plex app.
- The content must be coming from a Plex Media Server installation you have administrative access to.
When using the Plex app on Roku volume is very very low in some cases. This details a fix.
The link I read.
The original post.
The original instructions are here to prevent link rot... then my script for linux CLI people.
- Pick a favorite movie and play it on your Roku TV, find a spot you know and stop the playback…
- Navigate to your Plex install on your plex server. The default for windows should be
C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles
- Find the file named “Roku-7.x.xml”, right click and copy the file
- paste a new copy of the file and change the name to “Roku-9.x.xml”
- Open the new “Roku-9.x.xml” file and edit the following:
- On Line 2 change name=”Roku-7.x” to name=”Roku-9.x”
- Save the file
- Resume playback on your show and note the amazing increase in volume…
Note: In my experience I could skip the first step "Play the movie" and the last step "Resume playback."
Also the directory on Linux on my Ubuntu system is
See script below
Linux instructions for CLI users
Copy and paste the below lines into your CLI window on your Plex Media Server running Linux. It will copy
an existing file for Roku version 7 to new ones for versions 9 and 12, and edit them appropriately. This
will allow the Plex App for Roku to properly send audio to your TV.
sudo cp Roku-7.x.xml Roku-9.x.xml
sudo cp Roku-7.x.xml Roku-12.x.xml
sudo sed -i '/Client name=/ s/7.x/9.x/g' Roku-9.x.xml
sudo sed -i '/Client name=/ s/7.x/12.x/g' Roku-12.x.xml
If it helped you and you're so inclined, please buy me a coffee.