If you have a Uniden SDS-200, SDS-100 or BCxxxHP, it uses Uniden's "Sentinel" software, a Microsoft Windows program, to update the frequency database and the firmware.
$ wine setup.exe
$wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Uniden/BCDx36HP/BCDx36HP_Sentinel.exe
Options for Virtual Machines or emulators or librariesWINE - Wine Is Not an Emulator. It also doesn't work for Sentinel. [ ]
VirtualBox - An Oracle free virtual environment. Few can get the [ ] Sentinel program to recognize the radio scanner.
VMware-Player - A free (for personal use) version of VMware having [X] just enough functionality to make this EASY and Plug-N-Play.
How to run Uniden Sentinel on Linux under VMware-Player
Download required files
- Download the vmware player software from the following link. At 20230824 that's VMware Workstation Player V17
- Download a Microsoft Windows 8 or lower. DO NOT USE Windows 10 or later. Download Link
- Ensure you have unrar. Either# apt-get install -y unraror# yum -y install unraror equivalent
- Unrar the Windows 8.1 rar file retrieved above.# rar -xv Win8.1-Professional-English-x64.rarto extract the .iso disk image.
- First make the downloaded file executable.# chmod o+x VMware-Player-Full-17.0.2-21581411.x86_64.bundle(or whatever version you downloaded)
- Run that bundle to install VMware-Workstation-Player aka VMware-Player.# ./VMware-Player-Full-17.0.2-21581411.x86_64.bundle
Fire up VMware
Watch it take a while to install Windows.
- $ sudo vmware-player### We do the sudo to maintain the X11 connection to the root shell from a graphical login
- Connect the ISO as the CD-ROM.
- Create a virtual hard drive of 50GB (enough for the Windows 8 install and then some)
- Start the virtual machine
Fire up WindowsOnce the virtual machine is done installing and rebooting, you'll want to install DotNet2.0. This link will do that:
DotNet Ancient Link.
Install Uniden SentinelDownload Uniden Download.
Time to run itRun Sentinel from the menu, or via File Explorer C:\Program Files (x86)\Uniden\...
Connect the Scanner
- Ensure the scanner is off and the batteries are charged.
- Connect the scanner to the USB port on the host computer.
- Power on the scanner and when offered the choice to hit "." for serial or "E" for mass storage select "E" for mass storage.
EnjoyYou should be able to read from scanner, write to scanner, update firmware, and update master database.
When done, close down Sentinel gracefully via File-->Exit. Then unplug the scanner at either cable end. Then power off/on the scanner.